SpaceX and NASA have confirmed that an “anomaly” occurred yesterday during a static fire test of the SuperDraco engines on SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft. The Crew Dragon spacecraft has eight SuperDraco engines that are used for its abort system in case of an emergency during launch or ascent to orbit. SpaceX is readying for an in-flight abort test as part of its preparations for commercial crew flights to the International Space Station (ISS).
Here is SpacePolicyOnline.com’s list of space policy events for the week of April 21-27, 2019 and any insight we can offer about them. The House and Senate are in recess this week, except for pro forma sessions. They return for legislative business next week.
Margaret Kivelson is the new chair of the Space Studies Board (SSB) of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. She succeeds Fiona Harrison who stepped down in order to co-chair the ongoing Decadal Survey on Astronomy and Astrophysics. Harrison was the first woman to chair SSB in its 61-year history. Now Kivelson is the second.
NASA released crew assignments for the International Space Station (ISS) through spring 2020 today. Notable by their absence are flights by the two U.S. commercial crew companies, SpaceX and Boeing. NASA had hoped that U.S. launches of ISS crews would begin this year. Instead, U.S. crew members will be staying for longer periods of time, including what will be a record-breaking mission by Christina Koch. She will remain for almost 11 months, returning in February 2020 instead of this fall.
The Science and Technology Policy Institute’s (STPI’s) independent analysis of the possibility of sending humans to Mars in 2033 concludes that it is “infeasible under all budget scenarios and technology development and testing schedules.” It might be possible for such a mission to depart Earth in 2037, but 2039 is more realistic, the report says. “Mars 2033” became a rallying cry for some human spaceflight enthusiasts during the Obama Administration and although NASA’s plans have changed quite a bit since then, a sizable Mars-or-bust community remains.
Here are SpacePolicyOnline.com’s tidbits for April 15, 2019: Beresheet 2 already in the works; Falcon Heavy core stage tips over; Apollo 11’s Mike Collins wants “JFK Direct” to Mars; Skylab and shuttle astronaut Owen Garriott passes away. Be sure to check our website for feature stories and follow us on Twitter (@SpcPlcyOnline) for more news and live tweeting of events.
Here is SpacePolicyOnline.com’s list of space policy events for the next TWO weeks, April 14-27, 2019, and any insight we can offer about them. The House and Senate are in recess until April 29, except for pro forma sessions.
Almost two dozen members of the Senate Armed Services Committee (SASC) quizzed four top military and civilian Pentagon leaders for more than two hours today about why a Space Force is needed and how much it will cost. In the end, there was no consensus from either Republicans or Democrats. Most seem to remain unconvinced that it will add value instead of just more bureaucracy, but are open to further discussions.
The Israeli Beresheet lunar lander failed to make a soft landing on the Moon today, but the effort, led by Israeli non-profit SpaceIL, is being widely hailed nonetheless. Although it did not win the $20 million Google Lunar X-Prize, the X-Prize Foundation decided to award the SpaceIL team $1 million anyway in recognition of reaching lunar orbit. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine and Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin were among those praising SpaceIL and encouraging them to keep trying.
NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said today that NASA is dividing its human lunar exploration program into two phases. Phase 1, to be completed by 2024 as directed by the White House, will focus on getting astronauts to the lunar surface fast. Phase 2, by 2028, will focus on making the program sustainable. The plan itself remains the same as before, but the Administration will request funding to accelerate it by 4 years.
- Schylling Tin Plate Captain Benjamin's Land Speed Record 273MPH Wind-Up Car Bxd
- Hobbyboss 1 35 Soviet T-12 Medium Tank
- HOBBYWING COMBO (B) XR10 PRO ESC + V10 G3 4.5T MOTOR
- BNIB Jake & the Neverland Pirates Chest Gift Box set Christmas Toys
- Lamborghini Huracan Super Trofeo Evo 10Th Ann.Sp.V.2018 LOOKSMART 1 18 LS18-018B
- Ford Mkii Winner 24H Daytona 1966 K.Miles L.Ruby Spark 1 43 43DA66 Model
- PREMIUM X PRD584 NISSAN GT-R R35 MY17 diecast model car white 2017 Ltd Ed 1 43rd
- LEGO City 60123 In-Out Volcano Supply Helicopter - Brand New
- Takara C-77 Rodymus Convoy Trans Formers Encore
- Leblon Delienne-Yves Chaland-Adolphus Claar-Scène du bureau-Boite&Certif ok-
- THE COLLECTORS SHOWCASE-Schütze deutsch, panzer Lehr Division, Normandie 1944
- Zvezda - WW2 Barbarossa 1941 Battle for the Danube Expansion Set 6177 Inc models
- DC Minimates Series 7 Nightwing
- MPM 1 72 Douglas DC-2 Rebuilt Bomber
- E-Flite P-47 1.2m BNF Basic EFL8450
- VISUO WiFi FPV 2MP 120° FPV Wide Angle Foldable RC Drone Quadcopter & 3 Battery
- Phoenix 1 400 Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-300ER 9V-SWD (PH4SIA477) VERY RARE
- VITESSE SUBARU IMPREZA WRC Wales Rally GB 2005 PETTER SOLBERG 1 43 Diecast BNIB
- Helicoptere EUROCOPTER EC145 GENDARMERIE 1 43
- X4 Lego Star Wars Polybags 30497 30059 30052 30275 (Sealed Unopened)
- 15mm WW2 GERMAN ARTILLERY BATTERY + Transport Flames of War 58487
- Fujimi 1 700 IJN Aircraft Carrier Hiyo 1942
- Autographed 2009 (series ) Classic Superstars Sgt. Slaughter (w certificate)
- VINTAGE 1980's PALITOY ACTION FORCE RED SHADOW FIGURE MOC MOSC SEALED
- Diamond Select Toys Marvel Premier Collection Deadpool Resin Statue
- Scalextric C2782a Celebrating 50 Years of Scalextric, limited edition box set, a
- Core RC Tyre Warmers (Set of 4) (CR289)
- Clementoni Evolution Programmable Robot Science Museum PLEASE READ DESCRIPTION
- GEMS AND COBWEBS 1 43 GC12 RILEY PATHFINDER 1954 POLICE CAR
- Dinky Toys Pre War Military Green Army Reconnaissance Car 152B Smooth Hubs
- LEGO Star Wars Death Star (10188) BNIB Unopened Collectors Item Retired Product
- VERY RARE HONG KONG PLASTIC 1966 RALLYE MONTE CARLO MORRIS MINI COOPER S
- TAMIYA 61106 F-16C N Aggressor 1 48 Aircraft Model Kit
- Grumman F9F PANTHER Laser Cut Short Kit & Plans 71 ws, DUCTED FAN Turbine Power
- Ravensburger -Solar System - 300 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle Kids – Every Piece is
- Wwe wwf wrestling figures Wrestlers and a ring + accessories DX Hasbro Hogan
- 25th GI JOE COBRA Army Builder Figure Lot STINGER Hiss DRIVER Air Trooper GUNNER
- MARVEL LEGENDS HAWKEYE SERIES VII 7 TOYBIZ NIB NEW AVENGERS
- Warhammer Age of Sigmar Skaven Metal OOP Slaves with Musician 679
- SCHUCO PORSCHE 550 A SPYDER
- ART MODEL AM0094 FERRARI 375 MM 12 H PESCARA N.28 MODEL DIE CAST 1 43
- DINKY TOYS 722 HAWKER HARRIER ORIGINAL INSTRUCTION SHEET
- LEGO Star Wars 6211 Imperial Star Destroyer New in bag but unsure if complete
- 1984 Diakron Multi-Force 14 Robot , COMPLETE, USED w Original Box
- Vintage GI Joe 1976 Life Like Muscle Body - Land Adventuer Deluxe Set - Uniform
- Spawn CY-GOR McFarlane Toys Series 4 1996 Deluxe Edition Ultra Action Figure
- Tamiya 1 35 25104 RUSSIAN TANK DESTROYER SU-100
- Scalextric C2202 Porche 911 GTI Fujifilm QC SAMPLE COA
- Brushless Main Motor 180 CFX BLH3417
- Inspirational Classrooms 3115500 Multi Bead Bar Educational Toy
- Alan Smith model of the Saxon 4x4 APCS Ambulance VNMB
- Matchbox Yesteryear Fire Series YYM37631 GMC COE Pumper Port Vincent Fire Dept
- LEGO Ninjago 70605 Misfortune’s Keep Playset
- Transformers Movie Trilogy Series Optimus Prime 2011 Hasbro with Box
- WWII Bernhardt German Elite Sturmpionier Eastern Front Dragon 12 Figure