SpaceX and NASA have confirmed that an “anomaly” occurred yesterday during a static fire test of the SuperDraco engines on SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft. The Crew Dragon spacecraft has eight SuperDraco engines that are used for its abort system in case of an emergency during launch or ascent to orbit. SpaceX is readying for an in-flight abort test as part of its preparations for commercial crew flights to the International Space Station (ISS).
Here is SpacePolicyOnline.com’s list of space policy events for the week of April 21-27, 2019 and any insight we can offer about them. The House and Senate are in recess this week, except for pro forma sessions. They return for legislative business next week.
Margaret Kivelson is the new chair of the Space Studies Board (SSB) of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. She succeeds Fiona Harrison who stepped down in order to co-chair the ongoing Decadal Survey on Astronomy and Astrophysics. Harrison was the first woman to chair SSB in its 61-year history. Now Kivelson is the second.
NASA released crew assignments for the International Space Station (ISS) through spring 2020 today. Notable by their absence are flights by the two U.S. commercial crew companies, SpaceX and Boeing. NASA had hoped that U.S. launches of ISS crews would begin this year. Instead, U.S. crew members will be staying for longer periods of time, including what will be a record-breaking mission by Christina Koch. She will remain for almost 11 months, returning in February 2020 instead of this fall.
The Science and Technology Policy Institute’s (STPI’s) independent analysis of the possibility of sending humans to Mars in 2033 concludes that it is “infeasible under all budget scenarios and technology development and testing schedules.” It might be possible for such a mission to depart Earth in 2037, but 2039 is more realistic, the report says. “Mars 2033” became a rallying cry for some human spaceflight enthusiasts during the Obama Administration and although NASA’s plans have changed quite a bit since then, a sizable Mars-or-bust community remains.
Here are SpacePolicyOnline.com’s tidbits for April 15, 2019: Beresheet 2 already in the works; Falcon Heavy core stage tips over; Apollo 11’s Mike Collins wants “JFK Direct” to Mars; Skylab and shuttle astronaut Owen Garriott passes away. Be sure to check our website for feature stories and follow us on Twitter (@SpcPlcyOnline) for more news and live tweeting of events.
Here is SpacePolicyOnline.com’s list of space policy events for the next TWO weeks, April 14-27, 2019, and any insight we can offer about them. The House and Senate are in recess until April 29, except for pro forma sessions.
Almost two dozen members of the Senate Armed Services Committee (SASC) quizzed four top military and civilian Pentagon leaders for more than two hours today about why a Space Force is needed and how much it will cost. In the end, there was no consensus from either Republicans or Democrats. Most seem to remain unconvinced that it will add value instead of just more bureaucracy, but are open to further discussions.
The Israeli Beresheet lunar lander failed to make a soft landing on the Moon today, but the effort, led by Israeli non-profit SpaceIL, is being widely hailed nonetheless. Although it did not win the $20 million Google Lunar X-Prize, the X-Prize Foundation decided to award the SpaceIL team $1 million anyway in recognition of reaching lunar orbit. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine and Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin were among those praising SpaceIL and encouraging them to keep trying.
NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said today that NASA is dividing its human lunar exploration program into two phases. Phase 1, to be completed by 2024 as directed by the White House, will focus on getting astronauts to the lunar surface fast. Phase 2, by 2028, will focus on making the program sustainable. The plan itself remains the same as before, but the Administration will request funding to accelerate it by 4 years.
- 15mm napoleonic russian - grenadiers 24 figures - inf (26818)
- BB-8 & R2-D2 - Star Wars 1 12 Scale Kit by Bandai
- Scalextric C54 Lotus in Red large head driver, very clean car and boxed
- 4FEF 2.4GHz Drone UAV Visual Follow One Key Take Off LED Lighting
- Science4You My First Farm Educational Science Toy (Ages 8+) BRAND NEW
- Transformers G1 Commemorative PIRANACON Limited Edition CHEAPEST Slight Yellow
- Vintage 1984 GI JOE Cobra Storm Shadow Action Figure - Stormshadow
- XM STUDIOS LIZARD XM STUDIOS ESTADO NUEVO
- WWII German Leopard M10 Tank Tanks of world limited edition 1 72
- 1 64 Hot Wheels Rumble Road 0 4 Bike set Harley Davidson
- Lego NEXO KNIGHTS Job Lot Bundle of x10 DIFFERENT POLYBAG FIGURES (Lot A)
- WWE Randy Orton Ruthless Aggression Jakks Pacific 2004 SERIES 11.5 Figure 215
- DRAGON FIGURE 1 6TH SCALE WW2 GERMAN FIELD PHONE FROM HERMANN STAHLSCHMIDT
- DC Universe Classics Chemo Wave 9 Green Arrow DCUC
- Renaissance Figures - 15mm scale
- Takom 2023 1 35 German 12.8Cm Flak 40 Zwilling
- Scalextric C2455 Toyota F1 2002 Boxed
- 20kg of Lead Ingots Quality Clean Clean & Little Dross Fishing Weights Ballast .
- Minichamps 540881212 1 12 1988 MCLAREN MP4 4 A SENNA WORLD CHAMPION F1 Model
- SPARK PORSCHE 991 GTS bluee - bluee S4938 1 43
- Norev 1 43 - VW Concept C EOS
- LEGO 4441 City Police Dog Van
- NBA Legends James Worthy Yellow
- Marx Vintage Toy Banana Made in Hong Kong 1960s 1963 Push Hat and Wheels Away
- Rye Field Model 1 35 German Schutzenpanzer Puma Military Model Kit - RM5021
- HengLong 1 16 Winter Snow Upgraded Metal Ver USA M26 Pershing RTR RC Tank 3838-1
- (Army Strong) - Masterpieces Army Strong Hometown Heroes Jigsaw Puzzle
- Tokyo Marui No.3 Desert Eagle 50AE 10 years of age or older electric blow b
- Marvel Legends Infinite AGENTS OF SHIELD SHARON CARTER 6 Figure BAF RED SKULL
- MINICHAMPS Lancia Astura Tipo 233 Corto
- MINICHAMPS 120109 LOTUS F1 TEAM RENAULT E20 model car Raikkonen 1st podium 1 43
- Extremely rare French GITANES Ambulance 1960s nice
- Lego BATMAN MOVIE SERIES 2 FULL Set of 20 Minifigures Complete Re Sealed 71020
- Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Blast Off Action Figure
- TOYS-BOX 1 12 Comicave Armor Testing Workshop Figure Platform Fit 6'' Figure
- Dc 1 4 Premium Format Cheetah Statue Sideshow Collectibles 300476