SpaceX and NASA have confirmed that an “anomaly” occurred yesterday during a static fire test of the SuperDraco engines on SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft. The Crew Dragon spacecraft has eight SuperDraco engines that are used for its abort system in case of an emergency during launch or ascent to orbit. SpaceX is readying for an in-flight abort test as part of its preparations for commercial crew flights to the International Space Station (ISS).
Here is SpacePolicyOnline.com’s list of space policy events for the week of April 21-27, 2019 and any insight we can offer about them. The House and Senate are in recess this week, except for pro forma sessions. They return for legislative business next week.
Margaret Kivelson is the new chair of the Space Studies Board (SSB) of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. She succeeds Fiona Harrison who stepped down in order to co-chair the ongoing Decadal Survey on Astronomy and Astrophysics. Harrison was the first woman to chair SSB in its 61-year history. Now Kivelson is the second.
NASA released crew assignments for the International Space Station (ISS) through spring 2020 today. Notable by their absence are flights by the two U.S. commercial crew companies, SpaceX and Boeing. NASA had hoped that U.S. launches of ISS crews would begin this year. Instead, U.S. crew members will be staying for longer periods of time, including what will be a record-breaking mission by Christina Koch. She will remain for almost 11 months, returning in February 2020 instead of this fall.
The Science and Technology Policy Institute’s (STPI’s) independent analysis of the possibility of sending humans to Mars in 2033 concludes that it is “infeasible under all budget scenarios and technology development and testing schedules.” It might be possible for such a mission to depart Earth in 2037, but 2039 is more realistic, the report says. “Mars 2033” became a rallying cry for some human spaceflight enthusiasts during the Obama Administration and although NASA’s plans have changed quite a bit since then, a sizable Mars-or-bust community remains.
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is ... Read moreabout the condition
Here are SpacePolicyOnline.com’s tidbits for April 15, 2019: Beresheet 2 already in the works; Falcon Heavy core stage tips over; Apollo 11’s Mike Collins wants “JFK Direct” to Mars; Skylab and shuttle astronaut Owen Garriott passes away. Be sure to check our website for feature stories and follow us on Twitter (@SpcPlcyOnline) for more news and live tweeting of events.
Here is SpacePolicyOnline.com’s list of space policy events for the next TWO weeks, April 14-27, 2019, and any insight we can offer about them. The House and Senate are in recess until April 29, except for pro forma sessions.
Almost two dozen members of the Senate Armed Services Committee (SASC) quizzed four top military and civilian Pentagon leaders for more than two hours today about why a Space Force is needed and how much it will cost. In the end, there was no consensus from either Republicans or Democrats. Most seem to remain unconvinced that it will add value instead of just more bureaucracy, but are open to further discussions.
The Israeli Beresheet lunar lander failed to make a soft landing on the Moon today, but the effort, led by Israeli non-profit SpaceIL, is being widely hailed nonetheless. Although it did not win the $20 million Google Lunar X-Prize, the X-Prize Foundation decided to award the SpaceIL team $1 million anyway in recognition of reaching lunar orbit. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine and Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin were among those praising SpaceIL and encouraging them to keep trying.
NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said today that NASA is dividing its human lunar exploration program into two phases. Phase 1, to be completed by 2024 as directed by the White House, will focus on getting astronauts to the lunar surface fast. Phase 2, by 2028, will focus on making the program sustainable. The plan itself remains the same as before, but the Administration will request funding to accelerate it by 4 years.
- Simba 8102667 - Police Patrol Belt Set
- Bandai MG 1 100 MG-113 MS-06R-2 Zaku II Ver.2.0 Johnny Ridden
- VINTAGE MOTHERCARE PINK DAISY DRESS RAG DOLL SOFT HUG TOY
- Traxxas XL 2.5 Electronic Speed Control, waterproof - Z-TRX3024R
- Monopoly Roald Dahl Edition Board Game by Winning Moves
- Iron Factory - IF-EX20G - Wing of Tyrant - Green - Convention Exclusive
- Falklands War Private Phil Norman British Sniper Mint in Box
- Vintage Marvel Super Heroes Spiderman Hulk Puzzle Games on Display Card
- Vintage Dinky. Dinky 728 R.A.F Dominie
- Rare 1 43 Ebbro Super GT 500 Epson NSX bluee White 919
- Lego Star Wars 7749 Echo Base, New and Sealed,
- A lot of 4 McFarlane's MLB Barry Bonds San Francisco Giants Figures
- Rare 1980s Vintage Action Force Battle Tank Boxed And Working
- Masters of the Universe Point Dread & Talon Fighter - MOTU
- 25mm roman era roman - heavy 10 figures - cav (23240)
- Trumpeter 1 72 MiG-31 Foxhound Russian Aircraft Model Kit
- Scalextric Emergency Pursuit Playset Ideal Starting Point For The Younger Slot
- 1502DD 15V 2A DC Power Supply Phone LED Repair Stable Voltage Current Regulator
- Faenza 43 Models 1 43 1960 Ferrari Dino 196 S NART Targa Florio Rodriguez
- Lola T292 Simca-Chrysler No. 30 Lemans 1975
- 1 64th jada toys Sopranos hbo tv series hummer & Cadillac escalade
- LEGO Technic 8443 Pneumatic Forrest Tractor - 100% Complete w Box & Instructions
- Transformer 3 Armada Twin Sheet Set
- 7 Extremely Rare Vintage 1950's Plastic Novelty Toy Walking Animals Tudor pink
- Tamiya [Craft Tools] Modeler's Hole Punch Set (2, 3 mm) + (1.5, 2.5, 3.5 mm)
- SCALEXTRIC Slot Car C3852 Mercedes AMG GT3 (Anime)
- Turtle Racing v2 Billet Clutch Case for HPI Baja 5B 5T 5SC(orange)
- 3R Imperial Japanese 32nd Army 24th Division Private Takuya Hayashi 1 6 Figure
- DEPARTMENT 56 Dr Finklestein's Observatory Nightmare Before Christmas MINT NEW
- VW T3 HB Audi Team Kasten 1980 1 18 30023
- Corgi US50808 Seagrave K Pumper Washington Fire Co. No.1 Ltd Ed. 1561 of 2000
- 80M - 80885 - K.M.B. - Dennis Dragon Duple Metsec - Limited Edition 1 76
- Lego Jurassic World Dilophosaurus Ambush 75916
- Transformers Combiner Wars Onslaught - Brand New seller.
- Dragon - Art Figures 1 6th Scale Sin City Naked Figure Hartigan - BW
- GOLIATH BOWEN STATUE NO SIDESHOW XM KOTOBUKIYA