SpaceX and NASA have confirmed that an “anomaly” occurred yesterday during a static fire test of the SuperDraco engines on SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft. The Crew Dragon spacecraft has eight SuperDraco engines that are used for its abort system in case of an emergency during launch or ascent to orbit. SpaceX is readying for an in-flight abort test as part of its preparations for commercial crew flights to the International Space Station (ISS).
Here is SpacePolicyOnline.com’s list of space policy events for the week of April 21-27, 2019 and any insight we can offer about them. The House and Senate are in recess this week, except for pro forma sessions. They return for legislative business next week.
Margaret Kivelson is the new chair of the Space Studies Board (SSB) of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. She succeeds Fiona Harrison who stepped down in order to co-chair the ongoing Decadal Survey on Astronomy and Astrophysics. Harrison was the first woman to chair SSB in its 61-year history. Now Kivelson is the second.
NASA released crew assignments for the International Space Station (ISS) through spring 2020 today. Notable by their absence are flights by the two U.S. commercial crew companies, SpaceX and Boeing. NASA had hoped that U.S. launches of ISS crews would begin this year. Instead, U.S. crew members will be staying for longer periods of time, including what will be a record-breaking mission by Christina Koch. She will remain for almost 11 months, returning in February 2020 instead of this fall.
The Science and Technology Policy Institute’s (STPI’s) independent analysis of the possibility of sending humans to Mars in 2033 concludes that it is “infeasible under all budget scenarios and technology development and testing schedules.” It might be possible for such a mission to depart Earth in 2037, but 2039 is more realistic, the report says. “Mars 2033” became a rallying cry for some human spaceflight enthusiasts during the Obama Administration and although NASA’s plans have changed quite a bit since then, a sizable Mars-or-bust community remains.
Here are SpacePolicyOnline.com’s tidbits for April 15, 2019: Beresheet 2 already in the works; Falcon Heavy core stage tips over; Apollo 11’s Mike Collins wants “JFK Direct” to Mars; Skylab and shuttle astronaut Owen Garriott passes away. Be sure to check our website for feature stories and follow us on Twitter (@SpcPlcyOnline) for more news and live tweeting of events.
Here is SpacePolicyOnline.com’s list of space policy events for the next TWO weeks, April 14-27, 2019, and any insight we can offer about them. The House and Senate are in recess until April 29, except for pro forma sessions.
Almost two dozen members of the Senate Armed Services Committee (SASC) quizzed four top military and civilian Pentagon leaders for more than two hours today about why a Space Force is needed and how much it will cost. In the end, there was no consensus from either Republicans or Democrats. Most seem to remain unconvinced that it will add value instead of just more bureaucracy, but are open to further discussions.
The Israeli Beresheet lunar lander failed to make a soft landing on the Moon today, but the effort, led by Israeli non-profit SpaceIL, is being widely hailed nonetheless. Although it did not win the $20 million Google Lunar X-Prize, the X-Prize Foundation decided to award the SpaceIL team $1 million anyway in recognition of reaching lunar orbit. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine and Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin were among those praising SpaceIL and encouraging them to keep trying.
NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said today that NASA is dividing its human lunar exploration program into two phases. Phase 1, to be completed by 2024 as directed by the White House, will focus on getting astronauts to the lunar surface fast. Phase 2, by 2028, will focus on making the program sustainable. The plan itself remains the same as before, but the Administration will request funding to accelerate it by 4 years.
- Item fantasy warhammer - orc boys 19 metal & spider rider metal - (19743)
- A Vintage HELLER un-opened un-made plastic kit of a RENAULT G 260
- Scalextric Digital Lancia Delta S4 Fabrizio Tabaton 1986 Rally San Remo C3490
- WIFI camera control car real-time transmission 2.4G high-speed 1 16 model NZRv
- Sensory Wooden Play Think Board
- Bentley Flying Star Touring (2010) Resin Model Car 44216
- Kverneland seeding combination u-drill 3000
- Job lot of 23 LEGO minifigures from various series,all never played with,in bags
- Transformers G1 Scourge 1986 Box Read Description
- DC DIRECT THE SPIRIT 1 6 SCALE ACTION FIGURE
- Tokyo Marui G-38 M&P 9 Magazine (Genuine Parts)
- Vintage MOBO Bronco Horse Sit On ride on Toy
- Pre Order Robot Spirits SIDE MASHIN Ryuounmaru 30th Anniversary 95mm Figure
- AMT ERTL B-52H Stratofortress 1 72 Model kit
- Carrera 25706 Evolution Fearri F2002 V10 No.1, mint unused and boxed
- Traxxas Portal housings, outer, 6061-T6 aluminum (bluee-anodized) (2) - Z-TRX8...
- WSI 01-2295 SCANIA R HIGHLINE CR20H CURTAINSIDE COLLINS TRANSPORT 1 50 SCALE
- AUTOART FORD GT GRAND TURISMO EDITION 1 18 NOT MINICHAMPS KYOSHO BBR CMC EXOTO
- Corgi Man Tgx Xxl & C Sider- John Mitchell
- LEGO Star Wars B-wing Fighter (6208) - Unopened Sealed condition
- 25mm dark ages saxon - spearmen 24 figures - inf (33412)
- Italeri 1 9 4640 Norton Commando 750cc Model Motorcycle Kit
- Vintage GoBots Psycho Renegade 1984
- Action Force z Force HQ 100% Complete VGC International Shipping Costs revised
- Marvel Select Uatu The Watcher Action Figure - Rare
- SCALEXTRIC C3826A 1960'S JAGUAR E TYPE 60TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION NEW
- LUDICROUS Lipo Shorty 5600mah 7.6v 2s 120c 1 8 1 10 2c charge
- Pagani Huayra BC bluee metallizzato 1 18 P18128CV
- Herpa 1 43e - Porsche New 911 991 Carrera S Cabriolet 2015 - 1 43
- Dinky Toys Type 4 Fordson Covered Wagon - Dinky Toys Commercial
- LEGO 75824 ANGRY BIRDS - Pig City Teardown [RETIRED]
- AT RAPIER'S POINT HISTORICAL WAR GAMING BOOK - ROLEMASTER - KEVIN SCRIVNER
- redacraft RC 230X 195-05 Expo Mains redary Flexi Drive Tool Kit w100 Accessories
- VINTAGE 1988 Hornby Micro Scalextric Euro Saloons Set 1 64 Racing CARS MISSING
- JX PDI-HV7246MG Servo 46KG Al Gear Waterproof Standard Servo For 1 8 1 10 RC Car
- Ruination Camouflage RID Transformers Hasbro 2002 Walmart Exclusive MISP
- GI Joe 2019 Collector's Club FSS Final 12 Tiger Force Tunnel Rat New Complete
- Teen Titans Animated Series Claw Crawler Vehicle BanDai NIP 4+ S115-8
- WARHAMMER AGE OF SIGMAR CHAOS GREAT UNCLEAN ONE MISSING HORNS OOP METAL DAEMON
- KK Conrad 2098 13 AC 500 Crane Wagenborg Mobile Crane 1 50 New Boxed KK
- Bmw M6 Gt3 Team Rowe Racing Winner 24H Spa 2016 A.Sims SPARK 1 43 SB175 Mode
- Matchbox Ford Mustang Green Body Cobra USA Issue Muscle Car Toy UB
- LEGO 75202 STAR WARS Predection by Crait
- Transformers Metalforce Metalic Version G1 Optimus Prime Medicom Takara Figure
- 1 6 Scale Toy GI JOE - Lt. Falcon - Male Head Sculpt w Bandana
- Eaglemoss Marvel Movie Collection Premium Issue 1 Iron Man Mark XXV AFD 9233
- AVIATION Messerschmitt Bf 109G 1 72 scale model kit made by HAWK
- Fly 202308 Mercedes Benz redhmans Special Edition Boxed
- AS7180 Associated Qualifier Pro Rally Bodyshell Clear
- V-tech Toot Toot Garage And 6 Toot Toot Cars
- CORGI 239 VOLKSWAGEN 1500- KARMANN GHIA
- DINKY TOYS No.982 PULLMORE CAR TRANSPORTER
- LEGO STAR WARS 75190 FIRST ORDER STAR DESTROYER – BRAND NEW IN SEALED BOX
- Transformers Original G1 1986 AFA 80+ Combaticon Onslaught MISB 80 85 90
- Hasbro Search & Rescue Firefighter (white version) Action Figure